12.26.2005

THE FINAL STEP…

Girls become women….but boys just grow to become bigger boys…..never had I thought in the wildest of my dreams that boys would become men, that too in a span of 3 years …impossible….

But maybe My NDA proved me wrong ….3 years is ample enough to turn even new borns into men
But what’s there in this particular academy that’s not there anywhere else is a thought that had always roamed in my wild mind.. …guess, it’s the SYSTEM (as we call it) that has made the impossible, possible. The system that has stood the test of time and proved itself to be the premier institute to produce such sons of the soil who would put service to their motherland before self….and honestly speaking I just am too proud to be a product of this institute.

When I joined the NDA I was a clueless 18 year old, confused to the core if i had done the right thing by joining the defence forces. But a few days and I was sure, it wasn't a wise decision..
I had joined the NDA not because it was my long cherished dream or something... i just joined cause i had no other option but join....(though after my 3 yeras at nda i regret that i had earlier regretted my decision)

NDA...well it was tough adjusting to the system at first..but i never expected it to be easy because i knew military training just cant be easy...but once i got set into the system...it carried me along smoothly...
The three years taught me a lot... it taught me to survive come what may...it taught me to endure pain...it taught me to adapt and adjust to all situations...it taught me how to cooperate with others..it taught me how a leader should be to his men..it taught me comradery and valour..it taught me how to be a gentleman and an officer....It taught me LIFE.......

As days went by I started loving the system which had engulfed me from all spheres...
I started loving the early morning awakenings...
I stated loving the Drill, PT and the Equitation classes...
I stated loving the academic classes (because we could sleep as much as we want)
I started loving my flying lessons....
but above all i started loving those coursemates of mine whom i count on with my life..and its because of this bonding that the NDA still stands tall and the age old system still remains a sucess..

The Passing Out Parade (POP)...the one thing for which an NDA cadet endures his three years with ease..its the moment of ultimate glory..... for thats the moment u turn fully into a MAN from the boy you were ...
It also marks the culmination of your three year ordeal at the NDA......

At the final phase of the parade , the passing out course marches through A Ceremonial Quarter Deck where the words "ANTIM PAGH"(Final Step) are engraved on the floor.....

Final step...so ironical...for it just happens to be the first step of the whole new world that lies ahead of us....yet to be discovered....yet to be conquered.

2 comments:

shruti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shruti said...

Good read ... I would say that military training is one of the forms of self realisation and awakening that indeed makes us a stronger human being where the strength is not only physical but the strength of the human spirit that cannot be defeated